You can have other reasons to switch from Yahoo mail to Gmail but the most common reason seems many email users feel that Gmail ensures the better security and privacy of your account than Yahoo mail. They also feel that the speed of Gmail and the spam blocking ability is very much higher than Yahoo.
The other reasons are Gmail has localization for more than 50 languages while as Yahoo has just 27. You can modify your Gmail account easily. In case your Yahoo mail remains inactive for four months, your account may be deleted automatically while time for Gmail is 9 months.
Procedure to Switch :
- Login to your Yahoo account
- In case you are using Yahoo Mail Classic, Switch to All New Yahoo mail.
- Visit your inbox
- Select display name written at top Hi, “your name”
- Now visit account info. It appears in the subsequent drop down box under your display name
- Sign-in once again to verify
- Visit Account info page> set language, site and time zone
- Set your Regional Site and language to Yahoo! United Kingdom and time zone as GMT UK.
- Save settings
- Sign out
- Close browser and Sign back in
- Accept the Terms and Services
- Now visit your mailbox page
- Choose Forwarding from the left sidebar
- Surprise! You don’t see the Upgrade to get this feature anymore!
- Click Access Yahoo! Mail via POP
- Selection options like download spam or not.
- You are done with your Yahoo account
- Now log-in to your Gmail account
- Select mail settings> Accounts>Import Tab> Import mail and contacts
- You can also click on Import from another address, in case you have already selected an account to import from.
- Type your username, click continue and enter your password
- Click continue once again
- Click start import
- It may take more than 2 days to start seeing your imported messages but sometimes it happens after just a few hours. If you do not want to import new messages, click on Stop in the import mail and contacts page at Gmail.
- Click OK
- Now you have successfully switched from Yahoo Mail to Gmail